Environmental Choice is New Zealand’s official environmental label, initiated in 1992 and endorsed by the New Zealand Government, but independently operated by the New Zealand Ecolabelling Trust, recognising the increasing effort of manufacturers to reduce the environmental impact of their products.
Environmental Choice operates to internationally recognised standards and principles, and is a member of GEN, the Global Ecolabelling Network, which links a world of environmentally preferable products and services.
Environmental Choice provides a credible and independent guide for people who want to purchase and use products that are proven to be better for the environment. More than 1,500 products and services now carry the Environmental Choice New Zealand label.
The foundation of Environmental Choice is the stringent technical specifications it develops, which products must meet to be licensed to use the distinctive and well recognised Environmental Choice logo. Products and services that carry the Environmental Choice label have been independently assessed against robust, world-class criteria across their whole life cycle. The infographic below illustrates how Environmental Choice is involved across that life cycle.
Environmental Choice Vision
Environmental Choice New Zealand’s Vision is to contribute to a more sustainable future by leading New Zealand businesses to reduce their environmental impact by developing and using environmentally preferable products and services.
Products and services covered
Environmental Choice New Zealand provides certification against standards in the following product and service areas: Building and Construction Products, Cleaners and Detergents, Cleaning Services, Flooring Products, Furniture and Fittings, Office Products and Services, Paint Products, Paper Products, Recycled Products and Services, Textiles, Toiletry and Personal Hygiene Products, Wool Scouring Services and Fitness Centre Services.
Achieving Environmental Choice New Zealand certification brings benefits for Licensees, their customers and the Community.
Benefits for Licensees (product or service providers)
– a point of differentiation against competitors
– confidence that products have less negative impact on the environment across their entire life cycle
– customer recognition that the organisation is acting responsibly in preparing and delivering products or services
– greater employee engagement arising from a strong, positive environmental and sustainability stance
– recruitment and retention benefits because of that good environmental reputation
– community recognition that as an environmentally aware and responsible organisation
– kudos arising from adherence to environmental regulations
– economic benefits arising from more efficient processes and thoughtful sustainability initiatives
– keeping up with environmental regulatory change – all specifications are reviewed five-yearly and updated if necessary.
Benefits to Licensees’ customers
– increased sell-through with end-consumers looking for sustainability credentials on products
– increased buyer loyalty with eco-conscious end-consumers
– transferred credibility arising from the fact that Licensees’ customers benefit from the reflected glory of their environmental strengths
– meeting environmental or sustainability pre-requisites for many business-to-business tendering processes
– pride in customers’ employees as a result of their purchase.
Benefits to the Community
– reduced environmental impacts from improved processes
– reduced environmental impacts from reduced waste and increased recycling
– increased awareness of environmentally responsible activities
– reduction of effort and cost required by consumers to get sustainability information – the label tells the story
– a reputable, government-backed environmental benchmark to give proof to environmental claims and help assess other environmental credentialing.
For further information on Environmental Choice New Zealand and its ecolabelling programme contact Alex Williams, Administration Manager, The New Zealand Ecolabelling Trust, PO Box 56 533, Dominion Rd, Mt Eden, Auckland 1446; tel. 09 845 3330; fax. 09 845 3331; mob. 021 595 501; email: email@example.com
Or visit the Environmental Choice New Zealand website at www.environmentalchoice.org.nz